Sunday, June 02, 2019

Social Media Is A Spittoon For Saloon Wits

(This post first appeared in 2013.)
In light of recent revelations and developments, the old Duck decided to let this blogpost bubble up to the top. It sure seems as though the Duck was 6 years ahead of the curve.
Please understand that the Duck is one of the last adults left standing in the room, so you will find no mean-spirited schoolyard-trashtalk hint of "nyah nyah, nyah nyah nyah nyah I told you so" anywhere inside.


___________________________________________________________



February 21, 2013




After logging into LaceNook (not its real name) faithfully and often happily for the last three years, I have decided to close my account and quit using it forevermore. A friend or two has suggested that I’m just temporarily burned out with this “social medium,” and that I’ll return sooner or later. No, Sirree. Although I’m reminded of Mark Twain’s quip about another addictive vice - “Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times.” - it says here I’m all through.

I started Cold Duck after I retired in 2004. I was interested in using my new-found leisure trying to write stories that sounded like those I’d read in Field & Stream as a kid in the ‘60s. I discovered soon enough that it’s hard work to write stuff that reads easy. But with support and encouragement from like-minded bloggers, I enjoyed the challenge of “producing original content.”

But a funny thing happened on the way to the original content forum: along came “LaceNook.” I didn’t notice it at first, but the blogosphere, or at least my sector of it, soon began to shrink. I think I can guess why. Writing stuff I’m satisfied to include in Cold Duck remains hard work. It’s much easier to crash my friends’ discussions and crack wise like a saloon wit. Although I have several other concerns about “LaceNook,” I’m leaving it ultimately because its easy way out is too attractive to lazy old me. Cold Duck offers me the attractive challenge of writing as good a story as I can. Both my readers will be happy whenever I do.

No comments: