Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Season’s First Woodcock Flight

My old covert Behind The Rifle Range was stiff with woodcock this afternoon. Gordie, the RBL 16 and I had lots of shooting and a bit of luck.


Tomorrow, I’ll pan toast a slice of Italian bread in a bit of EVOO and butter, then divide it into 4 pieces. Next I’ll pan fry 4 boneless breast halves in fresh EVOO and butter for 50 seconds a side. They’ll get dusted with fresh ground pepper and garlic salt while they’re warming up. The centers will still be blood rare when I lay the breasts on the toast points and immediately tuck into a fine lunch.

After lunch, I’ll mail the wings to the Fed’s Migratory Bird Wing Collectors in Laurel, MD. Here’s hoping that the data gathered will inform productive management of little Bec so that he’ll long remain a Fall favorite.

3 comments:

danontherock said...

Sounds good but I had to google EVOO.
I use EVOO for everything and didn't even know it until a few moments ago.
regards
Dan

danontherock said...

Lovely looking dog by the way

Michael M. said...

Dan, thanks for the kind words about Gordie.

I enjoy your photo essays at your blogsite. Please keep up the good work!