Wednesday, January 07, 2009

FC Buster Brown, King Of Meadow


Buster was always special.

When my neighbor Mike Ludwig peeked through his blinds and saw the liver and white English Cocker frolicking with his littermates outside my place on a sun drenched Saturday morning in October, 1996, he fell in puppy love at first sight. And after the little guy had played, visited the woods and shared affection with them for several hours, Mike and his wife Kim assured Harold Bixby of Windwhistle Kennels that Buster had found a loving home.

It didn’t take long for the pup to conspire in mayhem with my two year old American Water Spaniel Bean. They played furiously in our back yards, Buster chasing Bean in tight circles until they crashed to the grass in a tangled ball of asses and elbows. On days when Mike was pressed for time, he’d ask me to take Buster along when I ran Bean on the trails behind our houses. The three of us enjoyed a seamless fit. I was beyond contented every time those two dogs were tearing it up in front of me.

Boy, could Buster run! From his early days chasing Bean, to the time he arrowed out 60 yards to retrieve a chukar as a young trainee, to his many flawless runs in tests and trials, he covered his ground with speed, grace, and fearlessness to cover. Cocker trials were reintroduced shortly before Buster was whelped, and the first National in 36 years was held in 1998. So the newly minted “Cocker judges” were really “Springer judges” learning to wear a different hat. Mike heard more than one of these judges say – and at the time it was understood as a compliment – that Buster reminded them of a mini Springer working the course.

While Mike enjoyed woodcock and duck hunting with Buster, he was proudest of his field trial performances. They learned the game together, quickly, with Mike taking Buster to his title in 2000. At the 2004 Nationals, only passing a third bird in the fifth series denied Buster a Certificate of Merit. And as you can see here, Buster was still performing at a high level in 2006.


The little dog’s heart and spirit were still strong after that, but health issues slowly overtook him. Mike and his family recently spent several emotionally full days comforting their pal before Mike shared one last ride together.

All good dogs leave us too soon. But in the Better Place that I envision, old Bean has welcomed Buster with open paws. They’ll be chasing each other’s tails and flushing woodcock just for the Hell of it until it’s my turn to join them. Meanwhile, I’ve added Buster’s photo to the Old Friends section in the sidebar.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw Mike.... what a beautiful tribute to our Buster. Thank you for your beautiful article on him. He has made permanent paw prints in so many hearts. He will live on forever in our memories of him!
Kim

Anonymous said...

absolutely beautiful tribute to Buster. What a treasured memory for Mike and Kim. God Bless you Buster....running through those beautiful pastures up above. Amazing how animals touch our hearts....forever.
~Julie~ (b10131990)

Anonymous said...

Buster thought of you, Mike, like family. He was so excited to see you walk over because most times you were taking him for a run. He will be missd by all.

Paula Thomas(Kims mom)

BlacknTan said...

It's always extremely sorrowful to lose an old friend, but Buster will live on through your eulogy, and in the hearts of his owners forever..

Deepest sympathies to all...

Anonymous said...

thanks for making me cry again. buster loved u, your walks and short hunts at the end of meadow. thanks for helping me to train him. We sure spent a lot of time back on the power line. If Timo and Nikki turned out to be half as good as their grandpa, they'd still be great hunters! Thanks again!
Mike L.

Matt Ortiz said...

wow...he was in the mix with some good dogs and handlers just two years ago.

that was a great tribute to any dog as I have ever seen.

Gretchen Steele said...

I met Buster from almost 3000 miles away through Kim's wonderful photos. Kim and I both share a love of the hunting dogs and photographing them.. I fell in love with Buster immediately! This is such a wonderful tribute to a great friend and creature! As teary as it makes me.. I hope hat Buster is also frollicking along in the meadows and the fields with my old pal Dutch thundering along beside him.
Again what a fitting tribute to a very special friend.

Anonymous said...

I love the tribute to Buster! I "met" Buster through Kim and some of our common photography stomping grounds and of course, fell in love with the little guy! I was so sad to hear that he wasn't doing well. I know how much Kim and Mike love their buddy. I'm hoping one day, Kim will create her own tribute to Buster in the form of a children's book that I can share with my kids. RIP sweet Buster...go find our Jake and run all over the place! :)

Shawn K. Wayment, DVM said...

What a wonderful tribute to your dog! They make our lives much better...a better world to live in! I plan to be burried with mine some day!

Thanks for sharing!

Shawn