Thursday, January 19, 2023

On The Joys Of Walking Your Dog

 How many times have you heard words like “…but first I’ve got to walk my dog” from friends you’d like to meet later in the day? Well, yes, your dog does love to go for a walk, specially if he gets to sniff all the guest books along the way before signing them himself.

 

But I think this has the walking-my-dog relationship bass ackwards. I own my dog precisely because I greatly enjoy walking with him. We are partners in enjoying the opportunities and challenges that every day outdoors presents. As classical Roman poet Ovid wrote, “We two form a multitude.” In a contemporary wording of this sentiment, “our whole is greater than the sum of its parts.”

 

Just a phrasing quibble? Or maybe a demarcation between dog owners and dog lovers?

 



 



 



 



No comments: