Thursday, October 07, 2010

My 20 Gauge Beretta Cole Custom With Prince Of Wales Grip

Crank up the volume and fire up this Johnny Cash classic. Then scroll down to read why, just like John, "I'll have the only one there is around."
I started messing around with O/Us in 1994. The first one I handled was a 20 gauge field grade Citori. I liked the gun generally, and very much liked its rounded semi-pistol grip. For some reason, I didn’t buy one, and I don’t remember exactly what I bought instead. But it didn’t stay in the safe long, and its sale started a long and expensive education in shotgun swapping.
Since then, I’ve learned that the Citori’s grip is one of several that’re promiscuously designated as “Prince of Wales" grips. I’ve done a bit of homework on the subject, and blogged the results in Cold Duck in January, 2009. Quite a few gunners are apparently interested in the “PoW grip” as it’s sometimes abbreviated. The little netspy that tells me who is googling what parts of Cold Duck reveals that the PoW article gets pinged more than any other. Well, except for this, which is a hotly queried question from Cheyenne through Cape Town to Calcutta. Go figure. No, really.
When I saw a lovely Woodward-style PoW grip pictured on a Rich Cole Custom Beretta, I was absolutely smitten. So in June I traveled to Cole’s shop in Harpswell, ME to get measured for a 20 gauge 686. I’m delighted to introduce the little beauty that Rich has built for me.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The snap above shows why this Cole Beretta is a “Custom.” The PoW grip, black receiver with gold lettering, “field” forearm and black recoil pad that I’d specified are clearly visible. If I say so myself, the walnut ain’t bad looking, either.
The tactile sensation of this PoW grip is sinfully delicious! Very nice work, Rich.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The snap above very clearly highlights the PoW grip.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The snap above shows Gordie wondering why he’s making faces for the camera while there’s still daylight left on woodcock's opening day.

3 comments:

David said...

Great blog you have here Michael! Enjoy your prose. That is a sweet 686. Drop me a line next time you are passing through the Tug...would be glad to swap a couple coverts with you and put a few pins on the DeLorme.

Dave

Gil said...

Michael,
Did you furnish the steel and Cole supply the wood or did you buy lock, stock and barrel from Cole? BTW, I note in your profile that you like the Ithaca M37 (as do I) and wondered if you considered doing a write-up on it. I just took delivery on the 28 gauge and man does it look good. Hope to shoot snipe with it soon.
Gil

Michael M. said...

Gil, I went to Rich with only my vest in the car (for the fitting) and cash in my pocket. I was not concerned about regulation in O/U barrel sets sold by Cole.

I bought a 16 ga custom stocked M37 in 2000 when the Ithaca works moved across the lake to King Ferry. I killed some birds with it, but it was not really well made.

Is your 28 ga from the new works in OH? I have seen their promotional photos, and the gun sure looks sweet. Good on you!

The Model 37 has a long history in NY alone. Because there is such a wealth of writing and reporting on the gun, I've shied away from any sort of "review" in CD.

Good luck on snipe! I take it you're near to Brunswick? If you prefer, feel invited to expand on this conversation through email.

Best,
Michael